BECOME A GUIDE FOR WINDIGO
Windigo has been leading off the beaten track small group adventures for the past 20 years across Canada and the USA. From the northern tip of the Arctic to New Mexico and from Newfoundland’s eastern most point to the sunny beaches of Hawaii. We assist adventure adrenaline junkies in fulfilling their outdoor dreams.
We offer active vacations for people of all ages and all tastes. From challenging adventures to softer discovery tours, specialized wildlife observation journeys or cultural itineraries, our team of outdoor enthusiasts love what they do and it shows. We want to show our travelers the love we have for our culture, our respect of the environment and our passion for outdoor sports in North America’s most spectacular settings
To achieve this we strive to:
- Run the best off the beaten track adventure tours
- Promote Sustainable Tourism
- Provide unforgettable experiences to people of all ages and tastes
- Help others discover and enjoy natural, cultural and historical beauties of North America
JOB OFFERS - GUIDE
Applicants must love the outdoors, have an adventurous spirit, strong leadership and exceptional people skills. Ability to multi-task, outstanding organizational and time management skills is definitely needed. If you are customer service oriented, have a strong work ethic and are looking for an exciting challenge, this adventure is for you!
REQUIREMENTS & APPLICATION PROCESS
Applicants must be at least 23 years of age, have a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record and must be able to pass a pre-employment physical and a drug/ alcohol test. First aid/CPR certification is required (partial reimbursement is available).
- Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- French speaking American citizens : Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, have a class 4 driver’s license or equivalent, a clean driving record and must be willing to get a first aid/cpr certification.
Applicants must also enjoy outdoors, possess an adventurous spirit, strong leadership, the capacity to manage multiple projects and always look for new challenges. Languages required : most of our clients speak English or French. We are also looking for tour guides able to speak a third language such as German or Italian.
- Complete our online application and make sure to attach your resume, your cover letter, and certifications. We’ll make sure to contact you !
- Tour guides –hiking, discovery tours, (campsite or hotel), top quality tours, click here for more details.
- German speaking tour guides –hiking, discovery tours, (campsite or hotel), top quality tours, click here for more details.
- Cycling trip guide, click here for more details.
BEING A GUIDE FOR WINDIGO MEANS...
Being a guide for Windigo is leading with passion. We strive to show our international clients our love for the outdoors through innovative trips.
We need people with very good organizational skills, excellent general knowledge of Canada and/or USA experienced in leading small groups, with great outdoor cooking expertise. We need operation gurus with attention to details and great people skills.
Ideal candidates need to have adventurous experience in Canada and/or USA. Our 1 to 3 week outdoor adventures are generally based as road trips on the most scenic North American routes in a 15 passenger van with trailer. Camping tours or hotel based tours. Share your love and knowledge of the areas you know and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a specific driver’s license? If yes, Do I need it in order to apply?
Yes, you will need a license class allowing you to drive vehicles of a seating capacity of up to 24 passengers. A Class 4B, Class 4 or Class F license depending on the province.
No, you do not need to have it in order to get hired. But you need a perfect driving abstract and must obtain the license at least 1 month prior to the start of the season. Keep in mind that in certain provinces, getting such a license class can take up to 12 weeks.
The deadline is June 1st, 2020.
- What is the minimum age to lead trips for Windigo?
21 years old
- Do I need specific first aid certification?
Yes. You need to have a valid first aid certification of a minimum of 20h including CPR level A according to the type of trip. A 40hrs wilderness first aid training is strongly recommended and for certain trips an 80hrs WFR is mandatory.
- Can Windigo sponsor my visa to come work in Canada?
No, you need to obtain your own visa and be legal to work in Canada or the USA in order to come and work for us. A working holiday visa is usually the fastest and easiest way to go.
- Do I need a cellphone?
Hell yeah! We’ll give you a set amount per trip to cover the professional use of your phone.
- When can I expect to start and finish my season if I am hired?
Depending on your availability and destination knowledge, the season runs from April to October with a peak season being June to mid-september.
- In which country/area can I lead?
Several criterions such as nationality, destination knowledge and language skills will influence where you will be called upon to guide.
- Which type of clientele should I expect?
What type of trips could I expect to lead?
We run different types of trips ranging from camping – hotel – bike tours – High end luxury tours – all with an outdoor component focused on hiking and wildlife observation.
- What type of work load should I expect for a 1st season?
Scheduling is done according to availability, trip type, guide’s abilities and logistical realities. Guides that are keen to, can expect to work a full season anywhere from 60 to 90 days of works.
- Do I have to pay for my food?
No. Windigo will provide allowances for meals during and after the trip according to trip logistics. This amount may differ from one tour to another. We do not however cover your food expenses while you are not on tour.
- Do I have to provide the money necessary to cover the expenses related to the trip?
No. Tour leader will receive funds prior to the start of the trip to cover all of the trip’s expenses.
- Do I have to pay for my flight to get to the starting location?
No. Windigo takes care of the positioning costs from large city centers.
- Should I have my own liability insurance?
No, guides working for Windigo are covered by a general liability insurance.
- Where can I expect to work?
We operate trips everywhere in North America with the bulk of our volume taking place in Western Canada, Western USA, Eastern Canada, Yukon and Alaska.